Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Day 8: A Place You've Traveled to

By far Honduras has been a place that I've traveled to and completely loved!  I have gone to Honduras twice to the same orphanages on mission trips.  When there, the group helps build different projects for the orphan children there.  My first trip we dug trenches and laid pipes for a water system.  The second time I was there we made cement and poured the floors to new buildings so they can take in more children.  While these children have nothing but the clothes on their backs, these kids emit so much joy, laughter, and happiness.  The orphanage is a Catholic run one therefore faith in a high priority.  The faith and joy these children have is astounding especially with the horror stories they have lived through.  With futures so unsteady, they still are every day kids that always seemed to be smiling. 

My family sponsors two of the boys from the orphanage that really bonded with me.  It was a cool experience the second time I went to have both of "my" boys come running up to me with huge hugs and smiles.  They remembered me even a year later.  I continue to send little gifts and exchange letters with the boys.  I so badly want to go back this summer, however with the wedding, honeymoon, getting employed, getting a place to live, and all the other craziness this summer will bring the time and finances just are not there.  I hope next summer perhaps not only can I, but Brian can go as well. 













No comments:

Post a Comment