Thursday, January 30, 2014

My 2014 Focus Word!

Last year I opted to pick a "focus word" instead of a New Years resolution.  I chose the word Build and boy did we really build in 2013!  You can read more specifically here my post from this time last year and in what ways I wanted to build (http://rebeccajeanneroutine.blogspot.com/2013/01/my-2013-focus-word.html).  To do a general recap and see how I did before introducing my 2014 word here were my key area's I wanted to "build" upon in 2013 and how I did:

Build up our home - We completed a lot of home renovation projects in 2013.  We added a shed, fence, straw bale garden, and large playground to our backyard.  We also overhauled our old office into a nursery and redid our first bedroom which we use for guests currently.  Our basement has been a very slow process and we were able to frame, ran electrical sockets and recessed lighting, insulated, drywalled, and hung the doors in the room we built which will be our office/craft/guest room when completed.  All that is left in there to be done is to tape, mud, and sand.  Once that is done it is an easy prime and paint, put down baseboards, and have carpeting installed for it to be done. We also bought shelves and organized the laundry area on the other side to be conducive to us.  As for the main basement area that is already "finished" but in 70's style it is currently a giant junk holder of all things that will one day be in in the office/craft/guest room and then other stuff from our college days that will find their way to the curb once we start adventuring through it all.  So all in all we had a lot of home progress!

Build up my heavenly home not just earthly home - I did well this year reading excerpts of the bible and trying to live it out in my daily life.  There is always room for improvement but I feel that I accomplished what I set out to do and I intend to continue build on my faith.

Build upon and strengthen relationships - Again another thing I feel that I really accomplished.  We not only strengthened our friendships with others we also made new friends this year.  We made a lot of memories with those that mean the most to us.  I also was able to build upon my marriage and relationship with Brian in a positive way.  We focused a lot on going on dates and enjoying each others company even in the simple things. 

Build our family - Well if there was something we accomplished this year this would be it!  We started this year off by welcoming Tucker another whippet pup into our family.  We also added to our family two foster children baby E and then her biological brother N.  We also are 30 weeks pregnant (yes only 10 weeks left until our due date!) with our little guy William who is due April 9th!  We find ourselves happily (and exhaustively) in a new season in our lives and soon will have 3 little ones all under 20 months old....life is going to get even more exciting shortly :) 

Build savings - I highlighted how we intended on buying a minivan by the end of the year and we accomplished that one!  We also were able to fund out of only savings continuing our remodels with our backyard project as well as our nursery and front bedroom and the basement.  We had a specific goal in mind of how much we wanted to save by the end of the year and we did fall short there however financially beyond our mortgage, car loan, and Brian's student loans we are debt free and intending on keeping it that way.  No need for credit card debt or other frivolous debts owed to anyone.  I feel very accomplished in the fact that we have been able to do it all on one income successfully as well as still have the finances to partake in extra activities, camping trips, etc.  We also spent some pretty pennies on infertility treatments this year but all that money will pay off come April with Wills coming :)  There is always room for improvement and there were several avenues and ways we could have skimped and saved more but I hope we continue to remain out of debt, pay off the house/car/student loans debts, and continue to bank a savings reserve. 

Building health - Again there is always room for improvement but we did well maintaining and improving our health.  Lately I have been slacking a bit with being exhausted and cutting corners with meals but we remain active and generally eat healthy.  With winter and two small little ones I try to get out a lot but earlier in the year we were very active with just us.  I know come the spring we will be able to get out more with the littles.  We also joined a local rec center and have enjoyed being able to get out and swim even in the cold weather.  We are hoping to continue to utilize our membership into the new year and continue to maintain and improve our health.

So as I look forward to 2014 my focus word I picked out is............Contentment!



I believe contentment begins when what you desire is equal to (or even less than) what you already have.  We live in a very craving world were we are always looking for more.  It is easy to get wrapped up in the materialistic world man has created but I want to remove myself from that and simply learn to be content.  I truly believe contentment is a choice we can willingly make it is not just something we can expect to overcome us and fill us, we have to seek it and choose it.  We have to make it become a learned behavior and we can only do that by purposely putting in the effort to allow ourselves to become content even in difficult circumstances.


  • Content with me - It is normal to feel inadequate and always wishing we were something different.  I want to work on being content with who I am, not wishing I was something else.  I may not have the body of a super model and I can be content in that.  I may not have perfect mannerisms or approach every situation perfectly but I can be content just being me and embrace my personal downfalls.  I want to work on and truly believe I am enough, worthy, and have importance.


  • Content with my marriage - Not only do I want to be content with myself, I want to be content with my husband.  Being accepting of the person he is and not wishing or having unrealistic expectations about him.  It is easy to see other couples and wish we could be more like them but I want to rejoice for what I do have and I have reason too as I'm married to an amazing husband!  Speaking for myself I am very happy in my marriage with my husband however there are times I envy other couples who seem to have it all together and jealousy can quickly creep in.  I know it is only an illusion as no marriage is perfect but I specifically want to work on being content with my marriage and my husband and not covet for what others appear to have and get stuck in that vicious circle of yearning for something unattainable and unrealistic.

  • Content in His plan for us - There are so many things I wish I had control of but I know I don't.  This year I want to work on being content in God's plan for me.  I want to give it over to Him to control the things I know I cannot.  By the end of this year with our foster children they will either be reunified with their birthmother or become adoptable.  We are painfully aware we have absolutely no control over the outcome and decision therefore we can only trust that He has a plan for their lives and for ours as we see them unveil.  Learning to be content and trust fully in Him can be hard but is something I am hoping to work towards.  Giving up the burdens we cannot control to Him and letting things work out may be the hardest thing.  Also other life decisions we may encounter may we be content in Him to guide us through them and be content with the outcome as we know it is what He intends for us.
 
  • Content Materialistically - We have an overwhelming amount of things that collect dust and just take up space.  While we have drastically cut down on the amount of extra "stuff" we buy and allow into our home, I want to continue to not try to keep up with the Jones' and instead invest in activities, adventures, and memories instead of material things.  This year I want to continue to simplify what we do already have so we are not so burdened by the clutter.  Of course this has become harder to do as we have little ones now that are notorious for coming along and producing "stuff" but I want to make a conscious effort to prioritize and simplify what we do have.  I do not want to be overtaken by things but rather focus on our relationships with each other which holds the real value.  We could lose money to an endless pit of material things that only bring empty promises of happiness but I would rather save the money and be content with what we do have.  I also have no problem thrifting and garage sale picking and I want to continue this year saving on clothes and the things we do need by second hand finding them.  

1 comment:

  1. What an excellent word to choose! Last year, my word was "generous" and this year it's "gentleness."

    ReplyDelete