Wednesday, January 16, 2013

My 2013 Focus Word!


Some may have heard of a yearly focus word, others may have not.  I have never been one for New Years resolutions.  I feel resolutions we make in our lives we should be doing each and every year.  I'm not going to set myself up for disaster or something I will laugh at by the end of the year as I inevitably fail at it.  I decided this year and hopefully from this year on to pick one simple word that encompasses what I wish to accomplish in my upcoming year.  After pondering for the past 16 days, yes I planned on picking a word on the 1st but here we are on the 16th....I have come up with it.  My word of 2013 will be BUILD!

Yup there it is in all her beauty....build!  I am in a place currently with my life that I am in building mode.  Building the obvious things and the not so obvious things.  So get your constructions hats on and see what I intend on "building" in the next 12 months for my 2013 year.


  • The very obvious thing is I plan to "build" up my home.  As anyone who reads my blog knows, we are are making our house our home and personalizing it.  We are expanding it by finishing our basement this year to open up a room on our first floor and give us more living space.  We are putting the sweat, money, and tears of our own into each project so we can have a conducive home for us and planning for the future.
                                      
  • While I intend on "building" our earthly home, I also plan to "build" up my heavenly home.  I plan this year to spend more time reading the Bible.  Not only do I plan on reading it....hold your seats.....I plan on LIVING it!  Yup you heard it right!  I am first to admit that I am not always the most biblical living person.  I read one thing, nod my head agreeing with it, then within 5 seconds totally forget what I just agreed to to and do the complete opposite.  I'm a sinner and I know it in tune to "I'm Sexy and I know it".  So for this year I am going to be more thoughtful to the living word and do just that, live it to my best of ability.  Before making any decisions or swift actions I am going to ask myself each time if this will help me "build" up my heavenly home or is this something that is in one with my beliefs.  It may be a simple thing, but I think is something so important to "build" on personally.  I want to "build" a stronger faith, "build" a deeper understanding, and "build" a fearless belief in the Lord and help "build" up to my heavenly home.

 

  • This year I also intend to "build" upon and strengthen relationships to with other.  I intend on "building" up those that already exists while also meeting new people and starting to "build" a new foundation.  It is so easy to get wrapped up in life and forget about those that mean the most to you.  I want to be more purposeful in "building" healthy strong relationships with others.  I want to be the best daughter, daughter-in-law, sister, sister-in-law, friend, and so on to those around me.  I want to become more purposeful in my actions and words.

 
  • I also plan on "building" our family this year.  Last year was a whirlwind of a lot of disappointment in this department.  We dealt with a lot of loss and raw emotion regarding "building" our family in 2012.  I am so hoping 2013 we will be able to sweep away the debris of when our "building" came crumbling down and that we can put back up walls and this time those walls will not fall down on us again.  I am so blessed that Brian and I have an awesomely strong foundation built between us.  We hope now to build up from here.  We are continuing our infertility journey as well as entering the foster care world in 2013.  While our family may not end up being the conventional family, we look forward to "building" our special family.  Our family we "build" may be ever changing with kids coming and going, but that doesn't make it any less of a family unit.  I firmly believe this is the year we will also welcome a bundle of joy and look forward to that possibility.  I know drastic changes to our family is coming as we go from a family of two to more, yet this may be the most thrilling to me of my "building" this year.
  • "Building" savings is also a goal for 2013.  Last year financially we did very well as far as savings go.  Of course had I worked and not been a homemaker we would have been reaping it way more for savings, however I am happy to know we are able to more than make it on one income which suites us well.  With a mortgage, insurances, Brian's student loans, utilities, as well as all the extras we did last year we still ended up with a good chunk of savings that we "built" but for 2013 I am looking really into "building" it up.  One never knows when an emergency may strike.  We are looking into by the end of the year possibly buying a minivan and we would like to work with as much cash as possible.  I want to "build" in 2013 a way to stretch our dollars more and be purposeful in our spending and saving.  We have been starting to follow the Dave Ramsey approach and have been cooking and eating at home.  "Building" our savings this year is a priority.  We know now just starting out if we are able to be saving more than we are spending that it sets a great framework for the future.  
  • "Building" our health is another avenue in 2013 I am going to work on.  As I said we are trying to eat primarily at home for all meals, I am also being more health conscious of what we do eat.  Eating at home does not always mean it is better quality or better for us.  In the latter of 2012 we added more fresh fruits and vegetables to our diets.  We want to "build" on this and continue to add more and more fresh things.  Again I am not one for a big resolution to lose 100 lbs. or anything, but I plan to "build" in healthy exercise into my day.  I have already begun to take Meeko for walks each morning and trying to add them in the evening too.  In between I am getting on the treadmill as well.  I am not doing it to lose weight (ha wouldn't that be a nice thing though!) but I am doing it to be more active, have more energy, and be healthier. 
 
I challenge everyone to pick a focus word for 2013 and truly focus in on it for all aspects of the 2013 year.  What will your focus word be?


No comments:

Post a Comment