Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Thinking Color!

So from my past posts it's obvious I am in remodel mode!  The hardest part of remodeling to me isn't the actual work (though that is tough work!) but is coming up with design elements and colors.  Usually I start with color options for the room I am undertaking.  After playing with some color ideas I start thinking details and how to bring in different elements to make it work.


While I am not right now physically remodeling, I am coming up with ideas for the rooms still needing done.  What is our office now will be turned into a nursery in due time and we already have our design theme ready to go for that.  We actually already have the paint and many knick knacks as originally it was going to be our guest room theme.  We decided it would make a great neutral nursery instead.  Our guest bedroom is almost complete beyond getting a mattress for our top bunk then I'll be sure to share what we did in there. 


So for right now we are waiting on getting a fence.  I have had a bunch of offers come in and we have pretty much decided who we are going to go with. Now it's a matter of finding out specific property lines then will go in our fence to keep our inmate dogs in!  We are considering getting a shed as well as we know it's end of the year and we know an Amish place that has great fall deals so we may just get one if the price is right but we shall see.  After the fence or during the process we are going to start tackling our basement.  We have major plans for down there.  Half is already finished but not anything close to "finished" like we want.  The other half is all storage and laundry area.  We are first going to be building a large room which will become our new office/craft room and guest bedroom.  I recently bought a hutch piece off of craigslist for a great deal and we will be drastically painting it to go with that rooms fun theme (which is super secret but classic!).  Once the room is framed, insulated, and dry walled we will take on painting. 


Meanwhile the other room has a giant bar and cabinets that we are ripping out to make more room.  This will become hopefully like a large family room so we are trying to allow for as much room as possible.  It will be more relaxed and not as formal as our upstairs main family room is.  The basement room has wood paneling all around that we are painting yellow gold with red accents but possibly purple (Brian is not a fan of the purple idea so likely yellow gold it will be).  I love the look of painted paneling so I am excited to actually have it all paneled already, creates sweet depth and texture to a room but right now it is just too dark!  Once that is all painted we have plans to rearrange our furniture and hang our Thomas Kinkade Disney wrapped canvas prints we bought on our honeymoon throughout the room.  What's better than a Disney room?!?!  We are teetering between getting a projector and screen or just a large television right now.  We shall see what we decide to go with, but for now we are weighing the pluses and minuses of each and are really unsure. 
Since I haven't done any real remodeling around the house since my last remodel marathon, I am really getting the itch to start another project.  This weekend since for once we will be home, we have plans to clean and arrange the garage.  In the mean time I am starting to plan out remodeling our kitchen, half bath, and full bath.  Can you tell I am itching for projects?!?!  I know the half bath would be a simple remodel.  I plan to paint the vanity already in there to save on money plus what I want you can't find for sale at the store in stock.  We will buy a new vanity top as ours is no doubt from 1957 when our home was originally built and is plain gross!  We have awesome toilets in both bathrooms that when flushed you feel like you will be sucked down, supposedly they can't be clogged and so far living here for over a year and half that has been true!  So with nice toilets we won't be undertaking any large purchase for new ones wahoo!  I am thinking of going with a gray and yellow color combo in the half bath and being that it is small and will just be taking down more wallpaper and just paint I may stay that soon.


For one reason or another I have had this peacock theme going through my mind for our full bath.  Peacocks?!?  Yes peacocks!  I just love the bright green and electric blue.  Not sure which color I would go with for the wall yet, but leaning towards the electric blue coloring.  If you're wondering what Brian wants...well he really doesn't care.  Home design and such is not his thing, he just likes doing the painting and work....honestly he loves doing the actual work!  I am looking to get a print or something of a peacock like the one above for the room to tie it all in.  I wanted to take a picture myself and blow it up for the wall but last time I checked I don't know any peacocks or anyone that has one!  We are going to change the fixtures in the shower/tub but are keeping the shower/tub as it's in great condition still.  Our vanity and vanity top both are nice and will be staying as is.  Keeping super budget friendly!  I may or may not stain the vanity darker, but that's yet to be determined.  The sink fixture will change to match the new shower/tub fixtures as they are outdated.  I think we will tackle the half bath first as it will be an easier change than our full bath.  After both are done and the basement is finished we will move onto the kitchen.  I'm currently thinking of going orange....yes a very bold change!  Right now it is wallpaper and so outdated.  Maybe not so outdated but it's beige with a repetitive flower print and we all know beige is just so boring!  I think a Clementine orange color (not so bold but rather a bright orange) would look great.  We don't have a budget for replacing our counters or counter tops but bringing in color will definitely update it and brighten it right up!  We may even put up a backsplash.  We have chair paneling that again I love which will be white as well as all trimming to make it clean and crisp.  Who wouldn't love an orange kitchen?!?!  Plus it will go great with my brand new orange KitchenAid mixer, how could we go wrong?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment