Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Dying Cloth "Lovies", Building Wills Cosleeper Platform, & Bunny Purchase Mishap!


We have tons of "lovies" that are really premium prefold cloth diapers.  We use them as they make perfect burp rags and like Baby E, I'm sure Wills will also form an attachment to his. 


Well here's the problemo with them, Baby E's formula spit up has stained hers like crazy! We have Clorox 2 and bleached the heck out of her stash, hung them outside in the sun to dry, tried vinegar and baking soda concoctions, tried the power of Oxyclean, squirted Spray and Wash on them until our fingers gave out, tried throwing them in a soak bin the minute they get spit up on them yet we have been left with these super nasty stains!  I had already wanted to dye them pink or purple for her when we originally bought them but never got around to it.  Finally after noticing not a single one looks presentable, I decide to finally do it!  It worked out perfectly as from our shower we received several more packets of prefolds for Wills so I decided to do a big dying extravaganza for the two! 


At first I was going to do Baby E's pink or purple and then Wills blue or green however once I hit up the store and saw the array of colors I may have become color happy!


The first few batches I did with my mom at their house. 


Then a few nights later Brian and I did the rest of the batches at our place.


It was super simple of a process.  The biggest pain is having to continuously stir them for 15 minutes at the start but that's where doing them with a partner to chat with makes the time move faster!

 
After each being washed 2 times with their own color and then dried in the dryer here are the end results!


We are happy to say thus far we have washed many from Baby E with our normal clothes and have had not a single run of color from them.  I also found it cool that for some reason whatever they stitch the edges with remains white after the whole dying process which gives it a nice finished look.  I am so happy with how they all came out beyond the light blue.  The light blue came out super light and we will see how they work out hiding stains but may end up dying them again a different color.  The store was out of it's hot pink but once they restock I intend on doing a few for Baby E :)


Our other project we spent time on was making a platform for Wills co-sleeper bassinet.  The co-sleeper hugs up to our bed to allow a little one to sleep close to the parents but give them the safe space of their own (and us not having to give up bed space hurray!).  Only problem is with our bedroom set it was too low and wasn't level with our bed on its own.  The company sells plastic feet extensions that are ridiculously priced and reviewers complained they make the co-sleeper too wobbly so Brian got to work on making a raised platform.  Since it's a raised platform it will second as a storage area underneath for no other than our "lovie" stash!


Of course he had a very ready helper!




There she is in all her glory!  We intend on painting it black to match the co-sleeper or staining it the same color of our bedroom set when the weather is nicer.  We don't have it attached to my side of the bed yet seeing that I get up 100 times a night these days for bathroom runs and it takes practically all my might to lift this big belly off the bed to begin with so I don't need yet another obstacle for now.  Once it is setup when Wills is evicted from this belly then I will snap a picture and share the full setup :)


For Easter I knew we had to get all three kids Easter baskets.  I can officially say I have all three kids baskets put together, outfits purchased and ready to be worn, and eggs ready for the Easter bunny to place throughout the house.  I figured whatever I can get done ahead of time before Wills arrival the better and having everything for Easter in place has taken away a lot of looming stress.  Growing up, my sister Elise and I had these adorable wicker bunny baskets.  In a search I ended up finding many used online for sale.  I found three I liked all for less than $10 each from different sellers so decided to buy the three I liked.  Note to self and everyone else....be sure read the descriptions fully before purchasing!  (Notice Baby E modeling not only a bunny basket but also a purple lovie!)


Well when all three arrived there was one that was not like the other.....oddly the smallest one was the most expensive of the three!


No worries, I was able to find another one online and purchased it after fully reading the description so we now have three normal size bunny baskets and one micro sized.  The basket I bought after had pink accents for Baby E which I like better anyways for her so it worked out perfectly! 

No comments:

Post a Comment