Monday, September 30, 2013

First Foster Care Placement - Baby E Joined the Family!

I know, I am way past overdue sharing our news but we received our first foster care placement!  I received a placement call at 1 pm on Friday the 20th wondering if we would be open to accepting a placement of a 2 day old healthy Caucasian baby girl immediately.  Honestly from what I have heard from others I was expecting that first call to come in and not be a suitable match for us.  Often they will call with situation placements that are beyond ones ability but this sounded too good to be true.  I said we would be interested and I was given some more tidbits of information and told I will get a call back later in the day after they go to court with either the child has been placed into care or if the judge decided not to take emergency custody.  I waited for several hours before getting a call back stating the judge was overbooked and unable to hear the case therefore has postponed the hearing until Monday the 23rd and that in the meantime we could receive a call over the weekend if birth mom chooses to leave the hospital however the judge mandated that baby E could not leave the hospital until custody was decided. 

We spent the weekend in anticipation but I kept telling myself not to get my hopes up that likely the baby will not be coming into care.  I figured better to be surprised and did not get anything ready or prepared.  Monday I got a call in the morning from baby E's caseworker asking if she can drop her off around 4-5 pm that night.  I mentioned that they must have gone to court and gotten emergency custody and the worker said not yet she was heading down to stand in line for court but that the judge indeed promised Friday he will hear the case by the end of the day.  She said that baby E is indeed coming into care without a question but that she would call me after court to set up a more specific time that she would drop baby E off at.  Then the whirlwind began!  Brian was out of town on business like he has been recently Monday through Thursday so I called my mom up and we ran out to grab essentials I thought I would need.  I also had an ultrasound that afternoon where we saw our little 12 week old minion but that is its own post in the making :)  When we pulled in the drive I got a call from the worker verifying my address and that she would be at my place in about 10 minutes.  So much for calling ahead with a specific drop off time! 

Baby E arrived sleeping in a car seat covered with donated quilt.  I pulled the little quilt down just far enough to see her face.  The worker went over paperwork with me and I signed my life away practically then just like that off she left.  Baby E was dropped off with very little and random supplies mostly from the hospital and some clothes that are 6 and 9 months in size.  Baby E was 5 lbs. 3 oz. at birth and was full term.  She is a tiny peanut and we quickly found out she needed preemie diapers because she was blowing out of the newborn ones every time because they were so big on her!  P.S. did you know it's $10 for a pack of 30 preemie diapers?!?!  Yup that's the only pack they are available in, no big boxes.  Here I thought I was covered buying huge boxes of size newborn-4's and just when you think you are prepared I find us running out to the store to buy preemie diapers!  She also swims in newborn clothes but she is too long for preemie clothes.

She had her first pediatrician appointment on the 26th and being only 8 days old she has put on an entire 2 lbs making her a whopping 7 lbs. 3 oz.  She is still teeny tiny and needing preemie diapers because of her skinny legs and we switched to a preemie nipple per the pediatricians recommendation so she wouldn't be dribbling so much as she eats.  She is a ferocious eater and a big cuddler!  She is now responding to my voice and has accepted me as her mama which is great for attachment.  In the evening we found she is partial to having me put her to bed instead of poppy Brian because otherwise she won't settle down.  She is really thriving and a blessing to have with us.  We have no idea how long she will be in our care or what her future holds, but we are taking it one day and one feeding at a time.  We are loving her like crazy because someone has to.  Honestly the first two days I was going through the motions almost surreal like.   By the 3rd day those little eyes captured my heart and I felt that mama instinct kick in and has been in full force.  We are on a great schedule and she's eating about every 3 hours 2-4 oz. She wakes up in the night whining and a quick diaper change and bottle and within 15 minutes she is back in her crib sleeping for the next 3 hours.    

As for her full name because we are only temporary caregivers we cannot publicize her name so we are referring to her as baby E on this blog and other social media outlets.  The only pictures we can post are those that do not show her face but let me tell you she is a gorgeous baby!  I plan on taking pictures with my real camera instead of my phone hopefully today sometime and will be sure to share a few of those non-identifying pictures.  Anyone is free to stop by for visit to get their baby fix :)  We are so blessed and thankful for all the friends and family that have rallied up beside us.  From bringing me lunch, calling or texting to check up on us, coming over and holding baby E so I can do yet another load of laundry or run to a doctors appointment, bringing over the cutest gifts of outfits and such, and most importantly praying for us as we transition into being a family.  Without so much support I doubt we would be doing as well as we have!  In the next few weeks we will get an idea of how long baby E may be with us and what her future may look like but for now we continue to love her like crazy and stand firm in knowing He has a grand plan for this little beauty!


The little peanut with the doll Mary Grace got her!


Being held by chief


Some Mimsy loving plus Gunny who is a little bit jealous....




Play with me baby E!


My nephew (well call him nephew as he's my best friends son!) Maverick who semi enjoyed holding Baby E.  After a few minutes his one year old self proceeded to push her off of him but not before we got a cute picture! 




Some poppy bonding time!


Even my nephew GT asked to hold baby E and smothered her with kisses!  After he ran to play his trains and came back saying "my turn" and proceeded to try to grab her out of my arms!  Needless to say he enjoyed her and always made sure that everyone in the room knew where the "baby" was.


Bug net?  Nope it's a keep the pups out from licking her and stealing her paci net while we drove to the land! 


Great protector Meeko watched over baby E as we drove for a night at the land.  Our first road trip and night away from home went well! 


At the land in the house Brian, Mary, and GT built


Someone knows mama's voice!  I was talking to her while she slept and kept getting huge smiles!


Too much cuteness!

No comments:

Post a Comment